Friday 56 & Book Beginnings: The Great Unexpected

The Great Unexpected by Sharon Creech
Book DepositoryAmazon (hardcover) | Amazon (Kindle)

For Book Beginnings:
My name is Naomi Dean and I grew up in Blackbird tree, in the home of my guardians, Joe and Nula. Among the tales that Joe often told was that of a poor man who, while gambling, lost his house but won a donkey. - p. 1

For Friday 56:
Serves him right, thought Mrs. Kavanagh. She waited for him to speak first. She was not going to make this easy for him. - p. 56

Synopsis of The Great Unexpected by Sharon Creech: In the little town of Blackbird Tree a series of curious events unfold when Naomi and Lizzie, two spirited orphan girls, meet the strangely charming new boy, Finn. Three locked trunks, the mysterious Dingle Dangle man, a pair of rooks, a crooked bridge, and that boy change their lives for ever. As the story alternates between their small town and across-the-ocean Ireland, two worlds are woven together, revealing that hearts can be mended and that there is indeed a gossamer thread that connects us all.
Many of you may be familiar with Creech's work, but this is a first for me! I won an ARC of this on Goodreads and I am so glad I have a good children's book in hand. I just finished this ... and it gave me the warm fuzzies. I'll get the review up soon!

What are you reading? Leave a link and I'll come visit. Happy Friday all. Keep warm!

6 comments




© guiltless readingMaira Gall