Friday56 & #BookBeginnings : Elegy for Eddie


Elegy for Eddie by Jaqueline Winspear (Maisie Dobbs #9)
Amazon.com: Hardcover | Paperback | Audio CD  

For Book Beginnings:
Maudie Pettit pushed the long broom back and forth across the wet flagstones, making sure every last speck of horse manure was sluiced down the drains that ran along a gully between the two rows of stalls.  
- p. 1

For Friday 56:
"That's what my mum always said. 'No one's taking my boy away to rot in an asylum.' [..] - p. 56
Synopsis: Early April 1933. To the costermongers of Covent Garden—sellers of fruit and vegetables on the streets of London—Eddie Pettit was a gentle soul with a near-magical gift for working with horses. When Eddie is killed in a violent accident, the grieving costers are deeply skeptical about the cause of his death. Who would want to kill Eddie—and why? Maisie Dobbs' father, Frankie, had been a costermonger, so she had known the men since childhood. She remembers Eddie fondly and is determined to offer her help. But it soon becomes clear that powerful political and financial forces are equally determined to prevent her from learning the truth behind Eddie's death. Plunging into the investigation, Maisie begins her search for answers on the working-class streets of Lambeth where Eddie had lived and where she had grown up. The inquiry quickly leads her to a callous press baron; a has-been politician named Winston Churchill, lingering in the hinterlands of power; and, most surprisingly, to Douglas Partridge, the husband of her dearest friend, Priscilla. As Maisie uncovers lies and manipulation on a national scale, she must decide whether to risk it all to see justice done.  
I think I'ved discovered a new mystery series that will give me my Agatha Christie kick! Have any of you read about Maisie Dobbs? Well she isn't anything like Poirot or Miss Marple, but she is growing on me! Yay for mysteries.

Hoping you all enjoy your Friday and the weekend! 

8 comments

  1. I keep meaning to. I've heard great things. I hope you love it. :) Yay for mysteries in deed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for her defending her son.

    I added you to the Linky. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been eager to begin this series...I received one of the books recently...can't wait!

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this. Ineresting historical mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as mysteries go, I've really only read Agatha Christie myself. But I love anything that takes place in London! I hope you like it :)

    Aspen
    http://inner-aspen.blogspot.com/2013/03/big-in-japan-on-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a beautiful cover! The language is a bit hard for me to understand, but maybe one day I'll try to read this one.

    Thanks for sharing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting book. Never heard of it,but the synopsis sounds good. Like Freda said,good for her defending her son. She is a good mother.
    My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Maisie Dobbs books. I am hoping to read this one soon!

    ReplyDelete




© guiltless readingMaira Gall