Friday 56 & #BookBeginnings: Boy, Snow, Bird


For Book Beginnings:
Nobody ever warned me about mirrors, so for many years I was fond of them, and believed them to be trustworthy. I'd hide myself away inside them, setting two mirrors up to face each other so that when I stood between them I was infinitely reflected in either direction. 
- p. 3 (ARC, page may change)

For Friday 56:
"It isn't magic," she said. "It's just that I'm well dressed. You men who try to tell me I'm a scarecrow or try to grab my arm but can't manage it, don't you understand that you're not really addressing me? It's more as if you're talking to the coat I'm wearing."
- p. 56 (ARC, page may change)


Synopsis of Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi: In the winter of 1953, Boy Novak arrives by chance in a small town in Massachusetts, looking, she believes, for beauty—the opposite of the life she’s left behind in New York. She marries a local widower and becomes stepmother to his winsome daughter, Snow Whitman.

A wicked stepmother is a creature Boy never imagined she’d become, but elements of the familiar tale of aesthetic obsession begin to play themselves out when the birth of Boy’s daughter, Bird, who is dark-skinned, exposes the Whitmans as light-skinned African Americans passing for white. Among them, Boy, Snow, and Bird confront the tyranny of the mirror to ask how much power surfaces really hold.

Dazzlingly inventive and powerfully moving, Boy, Snow, Bird is an astonishing and enchanting novel. With breathtaking feats of imagination, Helen Oyeyemi confirms her place as one of the most original and dynamic literary voices of our time.

I have to admit that this weirded me out. But it was very, very interesting. Check out my review here. Do you think you would read this?

 Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

1 comment

  1. Intriguing opening, my curiosity is definitely piqued! Been seeing this book around a lot recently and there's a lot of buzz surrounding it--might have to check it out now, add to my wish-to-read list ;) Happy reading! :)

    My Friday Book Memes

    ReplyDelete




© guiltless readingMaira Gall