Oscar-nominated movies based on books (2015)

Last year, I did a quick round-up of some Oscar-nominated films that were based on books. Here's this year's edition, compiling trailers and their book links. Hope you enjoy tonight's Oscar festivities ... and happy reading!



The Theory of Everything

Nominations (5): Best Picture, Best Actor (Eddie Redmayne), Best Actress (Felicity Jones)

Based on the book: Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen by Jane Hawking

Why I want to watch it: Because Stephen Hawking is a brilliant and fascinating man. While familiar with his popular books, I'd love to learn more about his personal life

This movie reminds me of A Beautiful Mind, another movie that looks at the life of John Nash, a Nobel-winning economist and mathematician, who has schizophrenia. (By the way, this movie was also based on a book.) (I have a feeling this is going to make me cry.)

Watch it on: Amazon.com

***



American Sniper

Nominations (6): Best Picture, Best Actor (Bradley Cooper)

Based on the book: American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in US Military History  by Chris Kyle

Why I want to watch it: I'm not sure I do but only because I have a hard time watching war movies because of the violence. I think this is well worth the time though, to get an understanding of how psychologically challenging being a sniper is. This is controversial for many reasons, I think it's a fascinating look into the psyche of a man who is compelled to do his job well. Besides, Bradley Cooper is a such a good actor!

Watch it on Amazon.com
***



The Imitation Game

Nominations (8): Best Picture, Best Actor (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Based on the book: Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges

Why I want to watch it: Because I need to watch Sherlock, errr, I mean Benedict Cumberbatch! (sorry no apologies here)
Watch it on Amazon.com
***



Still Alice

Based on the book: Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Nominations (1): Best Actress (Julianne Moore)

Why I want to watch it: I've heard many good things about this book, which traces one woman's journey with Alzheimer's. A tearjerker.  

Watch it on Amazon.com


***



Gone Girl

Based on the book: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Nominations (1): Best Actress (Rosamunde Pike)

Why I want to watch it: Another book which has gotten rave reviews in the book blogging community, it'll be interesting to see how this makes it to film. The book's premise of a marriage gone very very wrong actually creeps me out. I may give this one a go (through closed eyes and behind my fingers!).
Watch it on Amazon.com


Wild

Based on the book: Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found by Cheryl Strayed 

Nominations (1): Best Actress (Reese Witherspoon)
Why I want to watch it: Hmmm, I'm not a huge fan of Reese so I may pass on this one. It reminds me slight of Eat Pray Love which I love-hate.  
Watch it on Amazon.com




***

Which movies have you watched? What books have you read? Which ones do you think I should definitely watch or read? 

See also: Oscar-nominated movies based on books (2014)

No comments

Post a Comment




© guiltless readingMaira Gall