Nobel newbie or got a few under your belt? #ReadNobels #TTWIBRAT [Week 2]


This April challenge is now over a week in! Welcome all who've already signed up ... and of course, I encourage everyone else to join in! Read just one book by a Nobel Prize in Literature winner this April -- the more the merrier, plus, you get some amazing reading in your life. Here's the announcement and sign-up post.

This week, I thought it'd be interesting to see what else everyone has read in the past in the way of  Nobel Prize-winning books.

Week 2 (April 11-17): Nobel newbie or got a few under your belt?

Have you already read Nobel Prize-winning authors? Who? What books?

I'm no newbie but I'd love to read (and review) more. Going into my archives, here's a quick summary: I obviously like Latin men. Ok, kidding aside, I so obviously have a thing for Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Jose Saramago.

There are some books I'd read but never realized they were Nobel Prize winning books, like The Lord of the Flies and The Pearl, both classics.

Click on the links or the book covers for more!


Gabriel Garcia Marquez 
 1982 Nobel Prize Laureate, most books set in Colombia
Leaf Storm (review)
 
Naguib Mahfouz 
1988 Laureate, books set in Egypt
Harafish
(review)




Jose Saramago 
1998 Laureate, books likely set in Portugal, others unknown
All the Names (review)
The Double (review)
Blindness (review) 
Seeing (review)
Cain (excerpts)


 Nadine Gordimer
1991 Laureate, books set in South Africa

My Son's Story (quick thoughts)
The House Gun (review)

J.M. Coetzee
Disgrace (review)


Orhan Pamuk
2006 Laureate, books set in Turkey
 The Black Book (review)
Snow (excerpt)


John Steinbeck 
1962 Laureate
The Pearl (review)


Alice Munro
2013 Laureate, books set in Canada

The View from Castle Rock (unreviewed, Book Depository link)
Too Much Happiness (unreviewed, Book Depository link)

Toni Morrison
1993 Nobel Laureate, books set in the US
Sula (unreviewed, Book Depository link)
Beloved (unreviewed, Book Depository link)

William Golding
1983 Nobel Laureate

Lord of the Flies (unreviewed, Book Depository link)

Hermann Hesse
1996 Nobel Laureate

Siddartha (unreviewed, Book Depository link)

Do you have any favourite or memorable Nobel Prize-winning authors or books? Share and be sure to link up so we can check out your reviews!


My most memorable books (because I have too many favourites!) are:
  • 100 Years of Solitude because this book introduced me to Gabriel Garcia Marquez and I loved Strange Pilgrims because I think this book exemplifies his succinct storytelling powers
  • Cain and The Double by Jose Saramago were standouts for me. Cain is the alternate Biblical story of Cain and Abel which is so naughtily funny yet so incredibly logical. The Double was memorable because this was the first time I'd read anything with sentences that spanned pages ... and they not only worked, they made perfect sense to me.
  • Lord of the Flies by William Golding is a book that grew on me. I can't even remember how many times I've read it and each time I do, something about it clicks with me. It's a book that holds so much insight about humanity.

I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else is reading! What should I absolutely read? I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Where in the world will your Nobel take you?

No comments

Post a Comment




© guiltless readingMaira Gall