Rediscovering books through calligraphy and book quotes


I've been distracted lately. My book blogging isn't very consistent and I know some of you are probably curious what's keeping me busy. Aside from the usual humdrum of work, life, and all that in general, I have rediscovered calligraphy.

I sent out a quick message to Instagrammers for some favourite bookish quotes and got three replies. Here they are rolled up nicely in a post for you. By way of rediscovering calligraphy, I am rediscovering old reads as well as getting that reminder to read books ever on my TBR.

I am thinking of making this a regular feature where you name the quote, I'll write it! As long as I have a steady steam of requests, I'm happy to write!

Curious about my calligraphy journey? I will be posting some of my bookish efforts on @guiltlessreader. But I  have an Instagram account dedicated to calligraphy too - come follow me at @titik.at.tinta.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Here's my first request was from Nishita of Nishita's Rants and Raves for the well known line from Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale.* The book is one of Atwood's dystopian novels and with the recent release of the series on Hulu - proving to be quite popular! - there is naturally a revival of interest in the book.

I remember being scared half out of my wits reading this the first time (and I was not in a high school where this was required reading). If you haven't read this yet, I guarantee it is worth your time.

The line below, as per the book, translates to "Don't let the bastards grind on you." And no, this is not Latin but loosely based off it only.


The Sandman by Neil Gaiman

The second requester was from the Mama Reads Blog. Despite being a huge Neil Gaiman fan, I still haven't read his hugely popular fantasy comic The Sandman.*

The quote "Omnia mutantar nihil interit" translates to "Everything changes but nothing is truly lost." I looked that up, of course. and now I am double intrigued by the series.

In my books, Neil Gaiman never disappoints. Have you read this yet? Would you recommend it?

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

Reading the last lines of the children's classic Charlotte's Web gave me all the warm fuzzies again. I want to reread it again and just relive the feeling of this heartwarming (and heartwrenching) tale of friendship.

“It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both."

{Insert sigh here}




No comments

Post a Comment




© guiltless readingMaira Gall