Friday! Friday! Friday!

Book Blogger HopYay, it's Friday! After a sweltering week, Friday gave us Winnipegers a bit of a respite with some cooler temperatures! Hope it goes into the weekend. I don't know if I can take another +40s day!

First up, the Book Blogger Hop! This week's question is:

What’s the ONE GENRE that you wish you could get into, but just can’t?

I would have to say the young adult paranormal genre. It's a whole genre I discovered while hopping around! I've dipped my feet into the genre -- but while I sort of enjoyed Twilight (it really went downhill), and enjoyed Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty (which too went downhill), I'm not quite even sure what the genre covers! I love Neil Gaiman's Coraline and The Graveyard Book - do these count as paranormal fantasy?

***



For Friday 56, I just grabbed Freakonomics off the nearby shelf -- this is one really interesting read! (Hmmm, why haven't I reviewed this?)

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Freda's Voice Linky.

The entire book answers very intriguing questions - linking two often very incongruous ideas. Page 56 falls in the chapter which asks: How is the Ku Klux Klan Like a Group of Real Estate Agents?

An interesting sentence:
By the 1920s, a revived Klan claimed 80 million members, including President Warren G. Harding, who reportedly took his Klan oath in the Green Room of the White House.
Want to find out more? I guess you'll have to read the book! And with that, I wish you a wonderful weekend!

11 comments

  1. I love young adult paranormal, though I do have to admit that I can't read a ton of it consecutively.

    Have a great weekend!

    http://www.cafeofdreamsbookreviews.com/2011/07/book-blogger-hop-722.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Freakonomics sounds interesting.

    "President Warren G. Harding, who reportedly took his Klan oath in the Green Room of the White House."

    Wow did not know that! The past can be so strange sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The YA genre is weird because you'll read one book and it's written for 12 year olds and the next is great for adults.

    I'm starting to have trouble with a lot of the 500 page paranormals out there.

    http://booksyourkidswilllove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a fan of the clan. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, just returning your visit. I tend to flirt with the odd YA book but not really into the paranormal either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I love Neil Gaiman. I don't know what you would call his genre - he's kind of in a category all to himself.

    Glad to have found you via the Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason, Twilight is the ONLY paranormal book I've ever been able to get into.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog. I went camping over the week-end so I am just getting back to respond to participants of the Friday blog hops. I am also hosting a first-ever blogoversary give-a-way. Please visit my blog and participate. Thanks!

    http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com/2011/07/blogoversary-giveaway-week-day-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping through on the blog hopping! I'm the husband of the lady that writes "Hippies, Beauty, and Books." My wife actually got me into YA books, actually she got me reading again in general. Paranormal YAs are something I have to figure out. To me Twilight and The Mortal Instruments would both fall under those categories, but I love Mortal Instruments and highly dislike Twilight. So I dunno...

    www.HippiesBeautyAndBooksOhMy.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks everyone for the visit!

    @april - i can't read ANY genre consecutively either. too much of a good thing?

    @wutheringwillow - the whole book is like that!

    @sara - very true. i don't know what YA is anymore! I used to think anything Judy Blume was YA but to lump her books with Twilight seems kind of strange.

    @fredamans - me neither. til next week's friday 56!

    @TC, kristincanread, stephany - birds of a feather :)

    @Susan - yeah, Gaiman is a genre of his own. Though aren't some of Roald Dahl's adult books kind of similar? Macabre sense of humour.

    @Anne Bennet - I'll pop over for the giveaway! thanks for the heads up!

    @Mepis - you have a great wife there to get you reading again :) I've never heard of Mortal Instruments, I'll be sure to check it out!

    ReplyDelete




© guiltless readingMaira Gall