Friday 56 & Book Beginnings: Song of Achilles

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

My father was a king and the son of kings. 
- p.  1

For Friday 56:
And I? I was shy and silent with all but Achilles; I could scarcely speak to the other boys, let alone a girl. As a comrade of the prince, I suppose I would not have had to speak; a gesture or a look would have been enough.
- p. 56

This is among my favourite reads for the year. I have been meaning to review this but keep getting distracted! I remember I was ahead of the pack in high school because I really enjoyed mythology; something about it just drew me in and ensured my geekiness.  

Revisiting mythology through this award-winning book was such a treat! I honestly could. not. put. this. down. I felt like this when I first discovered Philippa Gregory... excited and wanting to read more in the genre! Gods and goddesses but oh-so-human feelings! This is so good!

On another note, isn't it gorgeous outside? Despite the call of the outdoors, my reading and blogging seems to be going strong. I've also got some awesome giveaways happening and to come ... so I do hope you guys all partake! Happy Friday!

Synopsis on Amazon.com: A tale of gods, kings, immortal fame, and the human heart, The Song of Achilles is a dazzling literary feat that brilliantly reimagines Homer’s enduring masterwork, The Iliad. An action-packed adventure, an epic love story, a marvelously conceived and executed page-turner, Miller’s monumental debut novel has already earned resounding acclaim from some of contemporary fiction’s brightest lights—and fans of Mary Renault, Bernard Cornwell, Steven Pressfield, and Colleen McCullough’s Masters of Rome series will delight in this unforgettable journey back to ancient Greece in the Age of Heroes.

4 comments

  1. Sounds to be beautifully written.

    I added you to the Linky. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing...and here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the opening! The title alone caught my attention. This one is definitely going on my list!

    My post

    ReplyDelete




© guiltless readingMaira Gall