Looking for Me by Beth Hoffman


The journey is just as wonderful as the destination.

Synopsis of Looking for Me by Beth Hoffman: Beth Hoffman’s bestselling debut, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt, won admirers and acclaim with its heartwarming story and cast of unforgettably quirky characters. Now her flair for evocative settings and richly drawn Southern personalities shines again in her compelling second novel, Looking for Me.

Teddi Overman found her life’s passion in turning other people’s castoffs into beautifully restored antiques. Leaving her hardscrabble Kentucky childhood behind, Teddi opens her own store in Charleston. She builds a life as unexpected and quirky as her many customers, but nothing alleviates the haunting uncertainty she’s felt since her brother Josh mysteriously disappeared. When signs emerge that Josh might still be alive, Teddi returns to Kentucky, embarking on a journey that could help her come to terms with her shattered family—and find herself.


My two cents

This is all about Teddi who comes from a hard-up family in Kentucky. She refuses to believe that this is all her life will be. As soon as she is old enough, she escapes her childhood with a perennially sour mother, a father who gives her her ticket out, and with a heavy heart, even her young nature-loving brother.

Leaving Kentucky behind opens up to Teddi a wonderful new life in Charleston—one filled with the things she loves: giving new life to antiques, growing her antique business, finding a man to love and be loved in return, and a sense of belonging and community. But Teddi can never escape her past, and she returns to Kentucky to deal with the issues that she has tried so hard to escape.


***

I think Hoffman had me at the beginning; I have a weakness for beautiful old things and salvaging things from the thrift store always fills me with with the thrill that is so well described in Teddi's experiences. But then as Teddi's life unfolds, I couldn't help but get sucked into this woman's life. She is so likeable, so relatable ... so real. She feels like a genuine person to me and I couldn't help but love her, cheer for her, empathize with her.

This one will pull at all your heartstrings ... hard. And I am warning you, this could leave you in a serious mess if you: (1) have issues you have escaped by leaving your hometown, (2) struggled or are struggling with your relationship with a parent (or parents), (3) have a sibling you love to bits, (4) are dealing with the need for closure in some aspect in your life, (5) or any combination of the above.

This review is going to be a short. But I'll leave it on a sweet note: get to know Teddi as she gets to know herself. I guarantee that you will see something of yourself in her.

Verdict: A story of finding resolution and closure, this novel will tug at all your heartstrings!

I won this book over at Stacy's The Novel Life!  Thank you for introducing me to a wonderful new author and a lovely novel!






Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

5 comments

  1. Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I'm delighted that you enjoyed Teddi's story and I appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such an emotional read, Beth. I really enjoyed this and I will try and get a copy of Saving Ceecee Honeycutt! Best to you and your upcoming novels!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like this WILL leave me a serious mess -- although I have a backlog of reading - I think this will have to be bumped up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you're prepared, April ;) Keep some tissues nearby and start early!

      Delete
  3. Great review! I love books about family relationships and going home, whether the memories from there are good or bad. This sounds really good so I'm adding it to my tbr list and hopefully can read it soon.

    ReplyDelete




© guiltless readingMaira Gall