Travel the World in Books: Notable Foodie Reads


It's pretty simple: I like to eat. Food and travel, for me, are natural bedfellows. If I travel I have to try the local cuisine. And food always say so much about the place, the people, the culture ... a bite is a mini travelogue in itself.

I'm pulling together some of my favourite FOODIE READS for this post.

Do you have any recommendations? I'd love to hear them! I'm always on the lookout for a good foodie read.

Fiction

 Nose by James Conaway (California, US) 
Is it obvious this is about wine? What's less obvious is that this is a mystery!

Another mystery, solved by the formidable Aunty Lee, served up with lots of Nonya dishes!

Non-Fiction

Eat Now, Talk Later by James Vescovi (Italy, US)
A family memoir of Italian immigrants to the US. I loved this for so many reasons, including the special family recipes at the end.

Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat by Naomi Moriyama (Japan, US)
I adore Japanese food. Find out about the Japanese eating philosophy. This also contains traditional Japanese recipes.

French Women Don't Get Old or Fat by Mirelle Guiliano (France)
This came before Japanese Women ... find out how the French eat and how their lifestyle is as much a reason behind their svelte figures.

A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain (France, Japan, US, UK, Vietnam, Cambodia)
The irreverent Mr. Bourdain travels here, there and everywhere to look for the perfect meal. So which cuisine was it? You have to read this hilarious travelogue to find out!

Hungry: What Eighty Ravenous Guys Taught Me about Life, Love & the Power of Good Food by Darlene Barnes (US)
Spunky Darlene becomes the cook for a fraternity house churning out meals for boys not just hungry for a good meal, but some mothering!

Did you know that the Golden Arches are better recognized that the Christian Cross.

Maybe you know who Julia Child is, or read/watched Julie & Julia which had its beginnings in Julie Powell's blogging. This biography is a charmer. 


Check out all my posts related to this readathon!
Or check out the perpetual challenge.

No comments

Post a Comment




© guiltless readingMaira Gall