#Friday56 & #BookBeginnings: Call the Midwife

Nonnatus House was situated in the heart of the London Docklands.
- p. 1

For Friday 56:
I knew how to deal with men like that. Height is a great leveller, and we were level. I didn't need to say a word. I turned my head slowly to look him straight in the eyes, and held his gaze. Slowly his smirk faded, and he turned away. Few men can withstand a woman's look of utter contempt.
p. 56

Synopsis of Call the Midwife by Jennifer WorthLondon's East End in the 1950s was a tough place: the struggles of post-war life - bombsites, overcrowded tenements, crime, brothels - bred a culture of tight-knit family communities, larger-than-life characters and a lively social scene.

It was into this world that Jennifer Worth entered as a trainee midwife. But docklands life was tough, and babies were often born in slum conditions. In funny, disturbing and heartbreaking stories, Jennifer Worth recounts her time among nuns, prostitutes, abortionists, bigamists, gangsters and expectant mothers, portraying East Enders' amazing resilience - and their warmth and humour in the face of hardship.

Written with affection and nostalgia, her midwife stories chronicle the lives, traditions and tales of a bygone era.

***

Because strange things happen, I missed last week's posting of my Friday memes. The first I've missed it in years. 

But I am back with something extra-special. A book I finally got my hands on because I loved the PBS series to death. My review of the series is in the works. Obviously I am doubly excited to read the source material. 

Have you watched/are watching Call the Midwife? I'd love to hear if there are any fans among you!

No comments

Post a Comment




© guiltless readingMaira Gall