Nonfiction November: My Year in Nonfiction


Love your nonfiction? Nonfiction November is hosted by an awesome bunch of peeps: Kim of Sophisticated Dorkiness, Leslie of Regular Rumination, Becca of I'm Lost In Books and Katie of Doing Dewey.

Week 1 (November 3 to 7) : My Year in Nonfiction

[from Kim of Sophisticated Dorkiness] Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November?

This is my first time participating in Nonfiction November. While my reads tend to be dominated by fiction, I've always enjoyed a good nonfiction read and always try to get a few in within the year. I was a little surprised though, that majority of book blogs deal mainly with fiction. Why is it we neglect nonfiction when there is so much good stuff out there waiting to be read?

Favourites and Recommended

I couldn't choose, so I have two favourite nonfiction reads. I like them both because they're unique books and I enjoyed their interactive aspect a lot. I've already recommended them both far and wide this year and will continue to do so.

Why I love it: It's a Where's Waldo concept, and a photo travelogue-diary across the US and Canada replaced with an adorable border collie.  What's not to love?  

Why I love it: If you know who Nick Bantock is (c'mon, collage artist and author of the amazing Griffin and Sabine!), this is like getting an art lesson directly from him. It's a workbook that encourages you to try new things ... it's a lot of fun!

So far ...

My nonfiction reads for the year so far are pretty all over the place:
Daring: My Passages by Gail Sheehy - autobiography

Harvesting Space for a Greener Earth by Greg Matloff, C Bangs and Les Johnson

Eat Now; Talk Later by James Vescovi - memoir

Use All the Crayons! by Chris Rodell- humour

Find Momo: A Photography Book by Andrew Knapp - memoir

The House at Anzac Parade by Victor Kline  - memoir

The Trickster's Hat: A Mischievous Apprenticeship in Creativity by Nick Bantock - art book

The Beauty Experiment: How I skipped lipstick, ditched fashion and faced the world without concealer and learned to love the real me by Phoebe Baker Hyde - self-help

What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet?

I've been wanting to read more foodie and food-related nonfiction but haven't made a dent in my TBR.


What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November?

More good reads. I know my TBR is groaning but aside from foodie reading, I'm open to any recommendations. I am also hoping to make a few more bookish friends who like to read nonfiction!

Well, that was fun! Are you new here at Guiltless Reading and joining in Nonfiction November? Leave a comment and I'll pop over and check out your answers!

    3 comments

    1. The Beauty Experiment sounds VERY interesting to me. I'm off to look into it more.

      Have a great NonFicNov!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. If you check out the link, there's a little exercise in there ... I guarantee it'll get you going through your closet and make-up stash :) Enjoy your NonFicNovember!

        Delete
    2. (Pardon me, catching up on some commenting...) Hm, I hadn't heard of Non-Fiction November before everyone started doing their introductory posts. Hopefully I will remember to participate next year. I have loads of non-fiction in my TBR pile but I read less of than I should ^^; A few years back I read a lot of food non-fiction and I think it gave me a better attitude toward food and eating; I would also like to read more. Good luck!

      ReplyDelete




    © guiltless readingMaira Gall