#Friday56 & #BookBeginnings: The Warmest December



Now and then I forget things, small things that would not otherwise alter my life. Things like milk in my coffee, setting my alarm clock, or Oprah at four. Tiny things.

- first sentence
What I needed was to get to the meeting and share the pain; distribute it among the others, thinning it until it disappeared. What I wanted was a drink. I could pour the liquid down my throat and let it filter into the hole and extinguish the pain that lived there.
- p. 56 

The Warmest December by Bernice L. McFadden*: The Warmest December is the incredibly moving story of one Brooklyn family and the alcoholism that determined years of their lives. Narrated by Kenzie Lowe, a young woman reminiscent of Jamaica Kincaid's Annie John, as she visits her dying father and finds that choices she once thought beyond her control are very much hers to make.

***
This is a story that has stayed with me over the years. It has such a powerful message that I had to 
share it with you: Forgiveness.

If you're curious, here's my review. I highly recommend this book.


No comments

Post a Comment




© guiltless readingMaira Gall