#Diversiverse: Some Favourites


A More Diverse Universe or #Diversiverse is hosted by Aarti over at Book Lust. It's a very simple challenge; the criteria are as follows:
  • Read and review one book
  • Written by a person of color
  • During the last two weeks of September (September 14th - 27th)

I'm a week late jumping on #Diversiverse, although the moment I heard about it, I wanted to be part of it. It already ties in nicely with my Travel Around the World in Book Challenge and I have always been trying to read diversely.

For this challenge, I am doing a re-read of a book by a Filipino author. I never reviewed it. I'm in the middle of:


Now, on to some old reads. Here are just a few of my favourite books that I'd recommend for #Diversiverse. (This is just a quick selection because I have a lot of favourites!)

These short stories take place across Europe. The author is Colombian. 

The novel takes place in Argentina.  The author is Uruguayan.

Short stories set in Japan, written by a Japanese author. 

Gagamba, The Spider Man by F. Sionil Jose
The story takes place in Manila, Philippines and the author is Filipino.

I Do Not Come to You by Chance by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
The story takes place in Nigeria and the author is Nigerian.

The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai
Takes place in India. The author is Indian.

The Frangipani Hotel by Violet Kupersmith 
These short stories take place in Vietnam and the US. The author is American-Vietnamese.

The Isolation Door by Anish Majumdar
The novel takes place in the US and touches upon the immigrant Bengali community. The author is Bengali-Canadian-American.
Say You're One of Them by Uwem Akpan
Short stories take place across Africa, the author is Nigerian.

This is Paradise by Kristiana Kahakuwila
Short stories take place across Hawaii and the author is Hawaiian

Have you read any of these? If you have any recommendations, sound off in the comments. I'm always on the lookout to add more diversity to my TBR!

3 comments

  1. These are some great recommendations. I have been wanting to try Banana Yoshimoto for some time now, may be now's the time to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read her work in years! Kitchen is really good but I remember Asleep pretty vividly ...

      Delete
  2. Thank you for a list of so many different books! I really want to read Banana Yoshimoto, and I haven't read many books set in the Philippines at all, so must remedy that!

    ReplyDelete




© guiltless readingMaira Gall