Friday is about crazy book titles, memoirs, and changing tastes


It's been a trying week for me, so TGIF! How has it been for you? 

Check out my Friday memes after the jump!


Book Blogger HopCheck out this week's Book Blogger Hop question:


“Let’s talk crazy book titles! Highlight one or two (or as many as you like!) titles in your personal collection that have the most interesting titles! If you can’t find any, feel free to find one on the internet!”


Easy, peasy: Check out some Weird How-T Book titles in an old post. Note that these are REAL books you can buy. Yes, I've always wanted to know "how to start my own  country!" Intrigued? Check 'em out :)






***
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56.
*Find any sentence that grabs you. (I cheat sometimes and put a little more than a sentence!)
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Freda's Voice Linky.

I recently finished That Day in September which is Artie Van Why's memoir of his devastating 9/11 experience. Because page 56 is blank, I hopped to page 57:

I looked at the faces, the expressions, the forced animation. No one wanted to talk about what we had experienced just a week ago. We feigned interest in other topics of conversation. Only our eyes held the thoughts that were too difficult to put into words.


***

Over at Follow Friday, check out this question:

Q. How has your reading habits changed since you were a teen? or If you are still a teen what new genres are you in love with currently?

My readings habit have changed tremendously! I used to read what was "in:" anything from the Sweet Dreams craze, to all the sci-fi books I could get my hands on.

I've since dipped into so may other genres, challenging myself to read out of my comfort zone. I've been reading Nobel Prize winners, some Man Bookers, some historical fiction, quite a bit of non-fiction, a whole bunch of children's books and young-adult books (gotta prepare myself for the little one's questions when she starts reading them). To sum it up, my reading is as diverse as it can possibly get.

Check out my reviews page and see just what a hodegpodge my reading list has become! And here's to more great books to discover :) Hoping you have a wonderful weekend!



10 comments

  1. I remember that day well.
    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine anyone forgetting that horrific day. I just read a fictitious story about 9/11 and
    I've seen so many books lately about it!
    Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping by and now following, too! Love the link of wacky book titles :) I also stumbled upon your post on becoming a guiltless reader - I must say, libraries are awesome. I wouldn't read half of what I do if it were not for public libraries :) Yay for getting your card!

    Take care & happy reading,
    Ms. C
    http://coffeetalereviews.blogspot.com/2011/08/book-blogger-hop.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you've been challenging yourself to read all kinds of things :)

    New follower :)

    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/08/follow-friday_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only agree with LLibrarySnake! And I think when I was younger I, too, read mostly what was popular. Still do, though, very often.. *wince*

    New follower, too! =)

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  6. My reading habits have changed a whole lot, but now I'm mostly mixing between the genres I've jumped between previously. I can read most things as long as it has something that appeals to me. :)

    Happy weekend! I'm already a follower. :) My answer can be found here!

    Kindle Fever

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was younger and read, I was mostly into YA horror. Then I didn't read for a long time. Now I'm back into YA but it's mostly paranormal.

    http://plbjourney.blogspot.com/2011/08/follow-friday-when-i-start-numbering.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there,
    Stopping by via Parajunkee's Follow Friday. I'm following you.

    Have a great weekend!

    Holjo @ Pedantic Phooka
    www.pedanticphooka.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Thanks for the visit to my blog!

    Love the 'Friday 56'! So poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. to everyone who popped by this week, thank you! i've paid each of you a visit in return, and hope to see you again next week! :)

    ReplyDelete




© guiltless readingMaira Gall