#AMonthofFaves: Reading Outside My Comfort Zone & Surprise Finds This Year


A Month of Faves is an awesome event is hosted by GirlXOXO, Traveling with T and Estella's Revenge. Check out the full sked here.

Mon. | Dec. 14 – Reading Outside My Comfort Zone – Surprise Find(s) This Year

I am a very eclectic reader to begin with, but the reason for my starting this blog was specifically to get myself out of the rut i.e., comfort zone. So I try to read widely and diversely as I can. But then, baby steps too, as I find I still shy away from a few things:
  • Classics: I personally have a hard time getting myself to read classics. Although my experience generally is that I enjoy classics but just can't start.
  • Books that deal with uncomfortable subject matter - if there's violence or brutality, I waver. I find though that the payback for reading these "tough" books is always very high. They're challenging but enlightening
  • Book forever on the TBR, just languishing. And books that have been lying around my home that I never seem to get around to. I know this is probably a disease among book bloggers!   

Jane Austen Cover to Cover by Margaret C. Sullivan

Why I was iffy: It's Austen. It's a classic. I liked Jane Austen Cover to Cover because it is a peek into Austen, but not quite a plunge. I think I am ready to take the plunge next year because looking at the evolution of covers and the backstories and trivia packed in this coffee table book piqued my interest.

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara

Made me iffy: Uncomfortable subject matter including rape, brutality, abuse, etc. I can't shake how powerful this book is. So here I am again singing praises of Yanagihara's A Little Life.


The Incarnations by Susan Barker

Made me iffy: Uncomfortable subject matter including a castration. Eeep. But I loved The Incarnations because I wasn't expecting to like this but loved loved loved it. It is a masterful story build around the theme of reincarnation, highlighting the fascinating people and the brutal history of China.

***

Finally, here are some books I've had just lying around the house, I admit, for years, taunting me. I finally got around to reading them and loved them! This reminded me that I got them for a reason; I should pay attention to the books I already have!


The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy




Have you been reading out of your comfort zone this year?

No comments

Post a Comment




© guiltless readingMaira Gall